Recently the University marked the one-year anniversary of the Respectful Workplace initiative, one component of President Sullivan’s focus on the University as a caring community. The Respectful Workplace initiative provides resources, training, and an incident reporting system to support the University’s Commitment to a Caring Community of Dignity and Respect. University Human Resources committed to track and share data annually on both reported incidents and recommended training. Selected results of both surveys are below. These data will be shared with the University community via email, posting on the Respect@UVa web site, and through Employee Communication Councils.
A survey was sent to the 400 faculty and staff who participated in one of the Respectful Workplace training programs. Of the 79 respondents:
- 86% were staff; 10% were faculty; 2.5% temp/wage; 1% Professional Research Staff;
- 67% were supervisors;
- 58% were required to take the training;
- 63% say they have modeled respectful behavior since they took the training; and
- Nearly 50% report holding others accountable for their behavior since the training.
Read the Respect @Training Survey results.
There were a total of 43 complaints filed through the new Respect@ reporting system. Of these, eight complaints were filed anonymously. Of 13 respondents from the remaining identifiable complainants:
- 4 were from the Medical Center; 4 were University Staff; 2 were A&P faculty; 1 was teaching faculty; 1 was Classified Staff; and 1 was temp or wage;
- 69% learned of the system from either the HR web site or the U.Va. website;
- 84% said the reporting system was easy to find;
- 100% said the reporting system was easy to use;
- 83% were contacted in a timely manner;
- 66% said their overall experience was effective (33.3%), highly effective (25%), or exceptional (8.3%).
Read the Respect @ Feedback Survey results.
The tables below represent the number of complaints from February 2012 to February 2013 by the school or VP area of the complainant.
Number of Complaints by school or VP area:
|College of A&S||3|
|School of Engineering||3|
|School of Medicine||4|
|Southwest Higher Ed||1|
|Vice President for Research||2|
|VP for Management and Budget (not Facilities)||1|
|VP for Management and Budget (Facilities)||7|
|VP for Student Affairs||1|
|VP/CFO (Business Operations)||4|
|VP Management and Budget (FM)||3|
|*Anonymous complaints are also indicated in the school/unit totals|