W-2 and 1042-S Information
Form W-2: Wage and Tax Statement
UVA is required by federal law to provide each employee with a Form W-2. Employees can expect to receive a Form W-2 by January 31 of each year. This form has details about
- earnings for the past calendar year
- taxes withheld
- taxable cost of group term life insurance
- cost of employer sponsored health coverage
- contributions to retirement or tax-deferred savings plans
Requesting Prior Year W-2s
- Current employees access W-2s through Employee Self-Service
- Former employees also access W-2s through Employee Self-Service for 13 months after leaving employment
- After 13 months, former employees email AskHR@virginia.edu to request W-2s
- Email must be sent from your personal email account
- It must include your full name, the last four digits of your Social Security number, the years for which the W-2s are needed, and the address where they should be sent
- Requests will be processed within one week of receipt of the request
Benefits of an Online Form W-2
The UVA Finance - Payroll department prefers to make Forms W-2 available electronically through Employee Self-Service, but you may instead get a paper copy mailed to the home address on file.
- You see your forms earlier because you don’t have to wait for a paper version in the mail
- The W-2 is at far less risk to be lost or stolen
- You can view the form anywhere that has internet availability
- An electronic form has far less environmental impact
Check the resources at the bottom of this page to find out how to stop receiving paper W-2s.
Form 1042-S for Foreign Nationals
Employees and students who are nonresident aliens are sent a Form 1042-S if they received
- wages that were exempt from federal and state tax withholding by a tax treaty
- a non-qualified taxable scholarship
Some foreign nationals may receive both a Form W-2 and a Form 1042-S for the same tax year.
Visit the Human Resources Compliance and Immigration Services webpages for more information.