Information for Relocating Employees
Moving Agreements are initiated at the departmental level and are usually included as a component of the hiring package. They are not valid, meaning no reimbursements will be made, until they have been signed by the
- Vice President and Chief Human Resource Officer or designee
- hiring official
The agreement will establish a maximum amount that you may be reimbursed for your move. It includes payments for purchase orders to the licensed commercial moving company and the amount that can be paid to you directly (determined by your department).
The cost of the common carrier charges is deducted from the maximum amount specified in the Moving Agreement. The total amount expended through Procurement plus the amount reimbursed to the employee shall not exceed the maximum amount specified in the Moving Agreement.
Moving and relocation reimbursements for out-of-pocket expenses are processed through payroll, so you will receive them in your regular paycheck. A designated departmental contact will assist you throughout the process.
Reimbursement and Taxes
Reimbursements can be either taxable or non-taxable income.
- Expenses incurred prior to the final move are taxable
- Final move expenses are non-taxable (except meals and part of the mileage rate reimbursement if you’re using a personal vehicle)
- Both taxable and non-taxable reimbursements are reflected in your W-2 form
Submitting Reimbursement Requests
- Group all original receipts by reimbursement category (A - G), stapling each group; refer to Employee Overview/Allowable Expenses on the Resources page (left menu)
- Submit the receipts to your departmental contact
Additional documentation will be prepared on your behalf in the department and sent to University Human Resources for processing.
Travel January 1, 2017 - Current
$0.535 per mile total
Househunting using personal vehicle; $0.535 per mile, taxable
Final move, personal vehicle; $0.365 per mile, taxable, and $0.17, non-taxable
Travel January 1, 2016 - December 31, 2016
$0.540 per mile total
Househunting using personal vehicle; $0.540 per mile, taxable
Final move, personal vehicle; $0.35 per mile, taxable, and $0.19, non-taxable