An effective and consistent offboarding procedure for exiting employees is essential for protecting interests of both the employee and the University.
For the Manager/Supervisor, the offboarding procedure will:
- Protect the physical and intellectual property of the University
- Ensure compliance with security and access issues with exiting employees
- Assist with the transfer of the position to subsequent employees through completion of the Knowledge Transfer Template
For the Employee, the offboarding procedure will:
- Provide information to employees upon their departure
- Provide an opportunity to wrap up their projects
- Provide knowledge of retirement, benefits, final payment procedures, etc.
- Provide a sense of closure to the employee
The offboarding procedure should be completed as follows:
- The manager/supervisor accesses the offboarding tools upon notification that an employee is leaving.
- The manager/supervisor and the employee complete the:
- The manager/supervisor and the employee sign the offboarding checklist.
- The manager/supervisor ensures the completed offboading checklist is scanned to the personnel file through the Document Imaging System or, if scanning is not feasible, retained in the department.