Leonard W. Sandridge Outstanding Contribution Award
Call for 2014 Nominations
This program gives members of the University community the opportunity to honor employees who have shown exemplary service and commitment to the University. It is the highest honor for staff at the University.
Three University selection committees have been established to determine award recipients for the Academic Division, Medical Center, and College at Wise. The committees make their selections solely from the information contained in the nomination packet. It is very important that complete information be provided in the nomination. Each recipient will be publicly recognized and receive an engraved gift, as well as a $1,000 cash award. This award is exclusive of any other pay action or any other potential monetary recognition through routine departmental programs such as Rewards and Recognition. Detailed information will be sent to honorees and their departments closer to the event dates.
Nominations must be received in University Human Resources, 914 Emmet Street, Box 400127 NO LATER THAN THURSDAY, MARCH 20, 2014. Nominations may be submitted to AskHR@virginia.edu.
Nominations are limited to currently employed, non-probationary, salaried University Staff, Classified Staff, and Medical Center employees in good standing. (This program does not apply to faculty.) Any member of the University community may submit a nomination. Self-nominations are not accepted.
Selection Criteria Guidelines:
The Committees consider outstanding contributions to the overall mission, objectives and values of the University, which have enhanced internal and/or public regard for the services provided by the University and/or Commonwealth. Service contributions may be in the form of service to students, patients, or other clients of the University, service to management, service to fellow employees, or service to the community.
When making a nomination, please be sure to include thorough and specific information. The nomination packet must be typed/word processed and should be as detailed as possible. (It is suggested that the nomination narrative be at least one typed page in length.)
Assembling and Submitting the Nomination Packet:
- Nomination Information Sheet
This form must be completed and submitted with the narrative.
- Nomination Narrative
A digital or paper document that supports the nomination.
Some points to consider are:
- The degree to which services exceeded the expectations of the position.
- The period of time over which the contribution(s) occurred, as well as the current/recent contribution(s) forming the basis of the nomination.
- The approximate number of persons benefited by the contribution and how.
- The ways in which the contribution enhanced the University's image or improved service.
- The positive influence the nominee made upon others.
- The influence the nominee had on improving work methods, productivity, decreased costs, etc. for the University and/or the Commonwealth.
- Return the Leonard W. Sandridge Outstanding Contribution Award nomination packet to: University Human Resources, Box 400127, 914 Emmet St, Michie South, NO LATER THAN THURSDAY, MARCH 20, 2014. Nominations cannot be accepted after this date. Nominations also may be submitted via email to AskHR@virginia.edu.
- If the nomination packet is not complete, it will not be forwarded to the selection committees.
Names of award recipients are customarily forwarded to the Commonwealth as entrants for further recognition through the Governor's Awards. Information regarding Governor's Awards will be shared as soon as it becomes available.
Winners of the 2013 Leonard W. Sandridge Outstanding Contribution Awards
Academic Division Awardees
Jamie DeVore, Radiation Oncology, School of Medicine
Jeannine Fields, McIntire School of Commerce
Pam Joseph, Department of Physics, School of Arts & Sciences
Wilma Lynch, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library
Warren Wood, Jr., Sign Shop, Facilities Management
Medical Center Awardees
Virginia Friend, Emily Couric Clinical Cancer Center
William Graves II, Central Sterile Supply
Stephanie Reed, Therapy Services
Linda Shifflett, 5 East
Kelvin Tyree, Outpatient Surgery Center
U.Va.'s College at Wise
Kimberly Marshall, John Cook Wyllie Library
Note: In honor of Leonard Sandridge's many years of dedicated service to the University of Virginia and as an avid champion of U.Va.'s staff, in 2010 the annual Outstanding Contribution Award was renamed as the Leonard W. Sandridge Outstanding Contribution Award. Through the generosity of Douglas W. DuPont, the award's yearly stipend is funded in perpetuity.