Human Resources (HRMS) Toolkit
What is the Human Resources Management System (HRMS)?
The Integrated System's Human Resources modules, collectively referred to as the Human Resources Management System, allow you to process HR transactions including:
- View, enter, and update employee information
- Enter time and leave for employees
- Review faculty and staff hires and salary changes
- Approve student and faculty wage hires and salary changes
- Run applicable HR reports
There are other HR systems that are not part of the Integrated System HRMS. These systems include Jobs@UVa, I-9 Online, Lead@UVa, and Benefits@UVa. Toolkits for each of these modules will be coming soon!
The University seeks to strike a balance between open access to data and data protection by assigning Integrated System (IS) and Student Information System (SIS) Responsibilities to employees. The Responsibilities allow access to specific categories of data and the assignment process complies with the University of Virginia Administrative Data Access Policy.
Requests for Integrated System responsibilities are made by you or your supervisor and submitted via the Electronic Self-Help Access Request Process (ESHARP). To begin the IS access process, go to ESHARP. In most cases, additional responsibilities are automatically assigned with a responsibility.
The departmental HRMS responsibilities in the Integrated System include the following:
- HRMS Specialists enter new faculty and students, update employee information, and run departmental HRMS reports.
- HRMS Timekeepers work with employees and managers to ensure that timecards are processed on time, enter time and leave for employees when necessary, and run departmental leave reports
- HRMS Viewers view employee information
- HRMS Faculty/Staff Reviewers review faculty and staff hires and salary changes
- HRMS Student & Faculty Wage Approvers approve student and faculty wage hires and salary changes
- For audit reasons an HRMS Specialist or HRMS Faculty/Staff Reviewer cannot be assigned to someone who has the HRMS Student & Faculty Wage Approver or the HRMS Faculty Approver responsibility activated.
- For audit Reasons an HRMS Student & Faculty Wage Approver or HRMS Faculty Approver cannot be assigned HRMS Specialist or HRMS Faculty/Staff Reviewer.
- HRMS Specialist, HRMS Timekeepers, HRMS Faculty Staff Reviewers and HRMS Student & Faculty Wage Approvers will automatically be assigned the HRMS Viewer and ODS Specialist-Limited responsibilities.
- HRMS Viewers will automatically be assigned the ODS Specialist-Limited responsibility.
All of the departmental HRMS responsibilities and training classes are listed in the table below.
Integrated System Navigation and Overview is an introductory online course that must be taken prior to taking courses specific to any IS responsibility. You can register for these and other courses via Employee Self-Service in the Integrated System.
|HRMS Specialist||Integrated System Navigation and Overview (online)
HR Department Human Resources
|HRMS Timekeeper||Integrated System Navigation and Overview (online)
Pay: Departmental Timekeeping
|HRMS Viewer||Integrated System Navigation and Overview (online)
Human Resources Viewer (online)
|Faculty Staff/Reviewer||Integrated System Navigation and Overview (online)
HR Department Human Resources
|HRMS Student & Faculty Wage Approver||Integrated System Navigation and Overview (online)
HR: Salary Approval (online)
Note: For viewer roles, training is not required but is highly recommended.
Six Month Rule: If you have taken a required class for a specific responsibility, but have not completed the training nor have had the responsibility activated within six months of taking the class, you will be required to retake the class. Also, if you are assigned a responsibility that you previously had, which was deactivated for longer than 6 months, you will be required to retake the course(s) before it is reactivated.
UVA HRMS Specialist Common Issues Simulations - To print a job aid, click on the Print It option for the topic.
UVA HRMS Timekeeper Tools
"How Do I?" Documentation:
- All Integrated System Responsibilities
- HRMS Specialist
- HRMS Viewer
- HRMS Faculty/Staff Reviewer
- HRMS Student & Faculty Wage Approver
University Human Resources Service Center; (434) 982-0123 or AskHR@virginia.edu. The Service Center is a "one-stop" resource dedicated to helping our employees with their HR needs. Representatives can answer most benefit, payroll, leave and employment inquiries.
The HR User Group is a group of Integrated System HRMS Users who meeting monthly to discuss issues and get important updates.
Human Resources Consulting Services (HRCS) consultants are available to partner with you on your departmental Human Resource issues and needs.
The Provost Office is an important partner for help in dealing with HRMS issues related to faculty.
Phone: (434) 924-HELP (4357), menu option 2
Training and Access Help: For assistance with training registration, please contact the HR Service Center at (434) 982-0123. For questions regarding IS training and access, please contact the IS training team at email@example.com.
- Courses Summer 2013
- Enroll in a Class
- Orientation Programs
- Systems & Technical Training
- Professional Development
- Personal Enrichment
- Organization Services
- Performance Management
- Training Advisory Committee