Education Benefit Pilot - Extended Into 2018
Interested in getting a degree or academic certificate? Have a conference you’d like to attend related to your work? The University of Virginia’s Education Benefit enables you to do these things with UVA financial support. In 2018, an updated Education Benefit is being piloted. The programs two components, Tuition Benefit and Professional Development Benefit, provide you flexibility when choosing to use this benefit for formal education or professional development. A maximum of $4,360 is available for use between the two benefits in 2018. UVA’s Cornerstone Plan guides us to invest in employees to foster a culture of excellence and achievement. The Education Benefit puts that belief into practice to help you reach your educational and professional goals.
- Available for use on for-credit coursework toward a degree or academic certificate program
- Coursework must be completed at an accredited educational provider
- Up to $4,360 may be used for tuition in 2018
Professional Development Benefit:
- Available for use for job- or career-growth related offerings, relevant to your current role
- Offerings must be provided or sponsored by a recognized provider of professional development experiences
- Up to $2,000 may be used for professional development
Eligibility Requirements: to use the Education Benefit, an employee must meet the following criteria:
- Be an actively working full- or part-time employee (including Classified Staff, University Staff, Faculty, and Professional Research Staff)
- Have had one year of continuous, benefits-eligible employment at UVA
Potential Taxation of Education Benefit:
- For tax reporting purposes, Education Benefit funds are reviewed from Oct. 1-Sept. 30 to allow time for payroll to appropriately document them on W-2s
- If you receive over the IRS limit of $5,250 within that time frame, the excess is considered taxable income to you and appropriate taxes will be withheld
- The amount credited to your annual benefit allotment is based on the year the reimbursement was paid
Education Benefits Detailed Information: for more information about the process, benefit approval, eligibility, appeals, and other specific information related to the Education Benefit and its components, use the following links.
- To apply for the benefit, go to employee self service (button above, right).
- To learn more about policy, access the UVA Education Benefit Policy
- To check if an educational institution is accredited, visit the U.S. Department of Education’s list of accredited schools
- For information about Student Financial Services for employees, go to Financial Services Fee Waiver for Employees