Coverage for your spouse under the Plan ends on the last day of the month in which the divorce is final. However, your spouse may elect to continue health care coverage under the Plan by purchasing coverage under COBRA for up to 36 months (refer to the Continuation of Coverage/COBRA section for more information). You or your spouse must notify the UHR Benefits Office within 60 days of the date of the final divorce decree in order for your spouse to be eligible to obtain COBRA continuation coverage. You are responsible for reimbursing the Plan for any payments made by the Plan for claims submitted for your ineligible ex-spouse.

What You Need to Do

  • Submit a request within 60 days of the date of the final divorce decree through Employee Benefits Self-Service for Academic employees or a written application for Medical Center employees to terminate your ex-spouse from the Health Plan. You will also need to provide a copy of the signed pages of the divorce decree verifying the parties involved and the date of divorce, along with your application to terminate coverage.

  • A Qualified Medical Child Support Order (QMCSO) or a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) could have an effect on your benefit coverage or elections. Please notify the UHR Benefits Office if you become aware of an order like this as part of the divorce proceedings.

  • Your ex-spouse should review the COBRA information he or she will receive from Chard Snyder, the University‚Äôs COBRA Administrator, and enroll in coverage within 60 days of receiving the material, if he or she would like to continue coverage under the Plan.

Participants with ineligible dependents (including ex-spouses) enrolled on their policy or those who owe reimbursement for the cost of any ineligible claims paid by the Plan for your dependents may be suspended from the Plan for up to three years.