UVA Health Plan
There are three UVA Health Plan options, administered by Aetna: Choice, Value, and Basic Health. Changes can be made during an annual enrollment period each October or after a major life event, like a change in marital status, an addition to the family, or a leave of absence.
Select your status to see your health plan options and premiums:
Click HERE to see COBRA premiums for HEALTH insurance.
Aetna Member Services:1.800.987.9072
Log in/register to access these resources:
- Payment Estimator: Costs for over 650 medical tests, services, and procedures based on your plan details, and real time, personalized estimates
- Cost of Care Estimator: Average in-network and out-of-network costs for tests, office visits, selected surgeries/procedures, routine physicals, and emergency room visits
Aetna’s Participating Provider Directory: Database of in-network providers to get the best value for your needed services
Aetna Institute of Quality (IOQ) List: List of IOQ facilities meeting Aetna’s standards for evidence-based and recognized standards for clinical outcomes and patient safety for cardiac care, orthopedic care, and bariatric surgery
Basic Health Option Eligibility
The Basic Health high deductible health plan (HDHP) offers health coverage with low premiums but a higher deductible than other UVA Health Plan options. Enrolling in Basic Health means you also have a Health Savings Account (HSA) to help you pay for eligible medical expenses. UVA contributes money to your HSA to help offset the higher deductible. Refer to the Basic Health HDHP Option page in the left blue menu for detailed information about this plan.
You must be eligible for UVA’s Health Savings Account program
View a list of IRS eligibility rules HSA Eligibility
If you are covered by another health care plan, it must be a high deductible health plan (HDHP)
You cannot be covered by any part of Medicare, Medicaid, or Tricare
Not everyone is eligible for Basic Health
J-1 visa holders must have the Choice Health option for medical insurance in 2018; Federal government regulations prohibit J-1 visa holders from enrolling in the Basic or Value Health options
Housestaff and Grant-Funded Postdoctoral Fellows may only choose Choice or Value Health
This step-by-step virtual assistant helps you select the UVA Health Plan option to best meet your needs as well as your other benefits. Click the image below to get started.
Aetna’s Plan Selection & Cost Estimator Tool helps you compare and choose the UVA Health Plan option that best meets your needs. The tool will prefill with your member information and prior twelve months of claim history if you elect to login to your Aetna Navigator account. You are asked to enter the annual employee paycheck premiums in the tool for each option you want to compare so have that information ready.
Your Plan Information
- Choice Health Schedule of Benefits  
- Value Health Schedule of Benefits  
- Basic Health Schedule of Benefits  
- 2018 UVA Health Plan Summary Plan Description (SPD)
Out of Area Coverage
- 2017 Choice Health Out of Area Schedule of Benefits
- 2017 Value Health Out of Area Schedule of Benefits
- FAMIS Virginia’s Affordable Health Care for Children: To see if you qualify for FAMIS, go to Cover Virginia and call 1.855.242.8282, Option 8 to apply. Here’s a schedule of FAMIS income limits.
- UVA Health Plan Options Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBCs)
- Women’s Preventive Care
- Preventive Care
- Aetna Informed Health Line: Talk to a registered nurse on this 24-hour line to learn more about health conditions you or your family members may have, a medical procedure, what to prepare for a doctor’s appointment, or to ask other health-related questions
- Aetna Vision Discount
Summary of Material Modifications: Materials included on this page constitute a Summary of Material Modifications for UVA Health Plan changes effective Jan. 1, 2018.
- Backup Care
- Dental Plan
- Education Benefits
- Flexible Credits
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- UVA Health Plan
- Prescription Program
- UVA Health Plan Ombudsman
- Health Savings Account
- Life Events
- Paid Time Off
- Medical Center Retirement Program (MCRP)
- Investment Lineup
- 403(b) and 457 Savings Programs
- Vision Plan
- Workers Compensation
- Policies & Procedures
- Employee Self-Service