Paycheck Receipt Options
Please note that the University of Virginia has a policy mandating direct deposit for all employees. Direct deposit to your personal account means your money is immediately available to you, it’s 100% confidential, and it is automatic every payday. You can set up your direct deposit by entering your personal bank account information through Employee Self-Service.
Paper Check Distribution
If you have not yet set up your direct deposit, paper paychecks must be picked up in person at University Human Resources (UHR), located at 914 Emmet Street. UHR is open for check distribution from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Employees will be required to pick up their own checks and provide picture identification. No one else can be designated to pick up your paycheck.
Payroll will not mail paper paychecks to employees who live within a reasonable distance of the University. If an employee lives outside of the area, a paycheck will be mailed after the Payroll Department has received a written request from the employee by email authorizing Payroll to mail the paychecks to the employee’s home address. Emails may be sent to AskHR@virginia.edu and should include the employee’s full name, last four digits of your Social Security number, and the proper mailing address.
Statement of Earnings
You may access statements of earning for each pay period (also referred to as payslips) through Employee Self-Service.
Always refer to the Payroll Calendar for the exact payday schedule.
Biweekly pay periods are 14 days long, starting on a Monday and ending two weeks later on a Sunday. Payday is five days later on a Friday. Payday will always be every other Friday, with the following exceptions:
- If a payday falls on a federal bank holiday, payday will be the preceding work day, unless otherwise specified
- If a payday falls on a University schedule holiday and banks are operating, direct deposits will be processed for the normal payday. Paycheck pickup may be scheduled during a brief time period prior to the University holiday.
Monthly pay periods start on the 25th of one month and end on the 24th of the following month, with payday on the first of each month, with the following exceptions:
- Paydays at the end of the quarter: March 31 (instead of April 1), September 30 (instead of October 1), and December 31 (instead of January 1)
- When the first of the month falls on a Saturday or Sunday, payday will be the preceding Friday
- If a payday falls on a federal bank holiday, payday will be the preceding work day unless otherwise specified
- If a payday falls on a University schedule holiday and banks are operating, direct deposits will be processed for the normal payday
- Paycheck pickup may be scheduled during a brief time period prior to the University holiday