Want Help On Your Taxes?

If you earn $55,000 or less, you can get your tax return prepared for free. You may not realize that you qualify for certain tax benefits like the federal Earned Income Tax Credit. Let us help prepare your return, and you’ll see any possible refunds in about ten days.


Tax returns prepared for free by UVA Law School and Darden School students, and students from Creating Assets, Savings and Hope (CASH), a group organized through the University’s student volunteer center, Madison House. Students are trained by the Internal Revenue Service as part of the federal Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA).

Who’s Eligible:

All UVA employees (including wage, part-time, and Medical Center employees), who earn $55,000 or less annually, do not have rental income, and are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. The $55,000 income limit includes spouse’s income if filing a “married filing jointly” return.

Where and When:

University Human Resources
Michie North, 918 Emmet St.
(across from Barracks Rd. Shopping Center)
Monday–Thursday: 5:30–8:00 p.m. Saturday: 10:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m.

University Medical Center
999 Grove Street
Monday–Thursday: 5:30–8:00 p.m.

Appointments available for the days and times noted above between January 29 and April 18, except March 3–10 due to spring recess for UVA students. Tax preparation services by appointment only. Schedule online.

What to Bring:

  • Government-issued photo identification
  • Valid Social Security cards for the taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents
  • Wages and earning statements: W-2s, 1098s and 1099s from all employers and unemployment compensation, if applicable
  • Interest and Dividend statements from banks (1099)
  • Health Insurance Statements (Forms 1095-A, 1095-B, and/or 1095-C)
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • Daycare expenses paid in 2017 and the daycare provider’s name, address, and federal EIN number (tax identifying number)
  • A voided check or deposit slip if you want your refund to be direct deposited
  • 2016 federal/state returns, if available

Please note:

  • If you want to file a “married filing jointly” return, both spouses must be present.
  • All required documentation listed above must be brought or your tax return will not be able to be prepared at your appointment.

Questions? Please call 434.972.1703.