Need Help On Your Taxes?
If you earn $50,000 or less, you can get your tax return prepared for free! You may not realize that you qualify for certain tax benefits like the federal Earned Income Tax Credit. Let us help prepare your return and you’ll see any possible refunds in about ten days.
Tax returns prepared for free by Madison House and U.Va. Law School student volunteers, trained and certified by the Internal Revenue Service as part of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
University Human Resources
Michie North, 918 Emmet St.
(across from Barracks Rd. Shopping Center)
All U.Va. employees (including wage and part-time and Medical Center employees), who earn $50,000 or less annually, do not have rental income, and who are not non-resident aliens. The $50,000 income limit includes your spouse’s income if you are filing a “married filing jointly” return.
Monday through Thursday evenings, with appointments at 5:30 and 6:30 p.m., and Saturdays, at 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m., between January 28 and April 15 (Tax preparation services will not be available between March 8 and March 17 due to Spring recess for U.Va. students). By appointment only—limited walk-ins available. Appointments may be scheduled online at www.vitavirginia.org/appointments.
What to Bring:
- Government issued photo identification
- Valid Social Security cards for the taxpayer, spouse and all dependents
- Wages and earning statements: W-2s, 1098s and 1099s from all employers and unemployment compensation, if applicable
- Daycare expenses paid in 2011 and the daycare provider’s name, address, and federal EIN number
- A voided check or deposit slip if you want your refund to be direct deposited
- 2011 federal/state returns, if available
Please note: If you want to file a “married filing jointly” return, both spouses must be present.
Questions? Please call 434.982.0123 or email AskHR@virginia.edu.
Want to help spread the word about this service in your school or unit? Print this poster. Thanks!