2014 Annual Service Awards Program
We are pleased to be holding both ceremonies honoring employee service at The University’s John Paul Jones Arena.
Service Awards Dates
Service Award Ceremony and Reception - Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Time: 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Location: John Paul Jones Arena
Celebrating: 10, 15 and 20 years of service
Service Award Dinner and Ceremony – Monday, June 9, 2014
Time: 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Location: John Paul Jones Arena
Celebrating: 25 through 50-plus years of service
Guest check-in and cocktails at 5:30 p.m., Dinner to be served at 6:15 p.m.
Are you a recipient? If so, you will receive an email shortly and you will be asked to visit our web site, RSVP, and verify and/or update your recipient information.
If you have questions, please contact Elizabeth Carey, Meeting and Events Coordinator in University Human Resources, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 434.924.1484.
What Should I Expect at the May 13th Ceremony?
Recipients will hear remarks from President Teresa Sullivan and be photographed with their vice president (or designated representative), followed by light refreshments. Employees will receive a personalized certificate and a pin based on years of service.
Parking and Shuttle Information: May 13th
There is complimentary parking at the John Paul Jones Arena and a shuttle service from the Medical Center. A shuttle will pick up Medical Center guests at the Lee Street Bus Stop located across from the University Hospital Emergency Room and drop off guests at the JPJ front entrance/main parking lot. Shuttle service will leave Lee Street Garage at 12:15, 12:45, 1:15, and 1:45 p.m. Return shuttles will leave the JPJ front entrance/main parking lot at 3, 3:30, and 4 p.m.
What Should I Expect at the June 9th Ceremony?
Recipients will hear remarks from President Teresa Sullivan during a formal dinner, and will then be photographed with their vice president (or designated representative). Employees will receive a personalized certificate, a pin based on years of service, and one of the following gifts based on years of service:
- 25 years = pewter Jefferson cup engraved with your initials
- 30 years = pewter jewelry box engraved with your years of service
- 35 years = pewter picture frame engraved with your years of service
- 40 years = pewter nine-inch bowl engraved with your years of service
- 45 years = pewter pitcher engraved with a personalized inscription of your full name
- 50 years = pewter tray with personalized inscription of your full name
Parking and Shuttle Information: June 9th
Complimentary parking at John Paul Jones Arena
Contact Elizabeth Carey, Meeting and Events Coordinator in University Human Resources, by emailing email@example.com or by calling 434.924.1484.
Eligibility for 2014
Several years ago, we broadened the eligibility for the annual Service Awards. In addition to honoring non-Faculty University, Classified and Medical Center employees, employees who have converted from Faculty to Staff are now eligible for an award.
As with all award recipients, employees who have completed at least 10 years of service will be honored and awards will be given in five year increments. Service is computed as of July 1 of the award year. We will credit all faculty service from the date of initial hire.
Every effort is being made to help identify people who qualify for recognition under this newly expanded eligibility. If you believe you qualify, please help us identify you by emailing Elizabeth Carey at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 434.924.1484. Human Resources will then verify eligibility.
General questions or requests for information may also be directed to Elizabeth Carey at email@example.com.
Service Award Eligibility Requirements
1. This program is applicable to University and Classified salaried staff of the University academic division and to non-faculty salaried staff of the Medical Center. This program does not apply to faculty salaried, faculty wage or student employees. Unit paid wage employees are also ineligible. Prior faculty service or time spent as a student is not creditable. However, employees who have converted from faculty to staff are eligible for an award, and all faculty service from the date of initial hire will be credited.
2. Service in any department is creditable.
3. Service does not have to be continuous. The total amount of employment is creditable even though it has been interrupted.
4. Military Leave service is creditable provided the employee left the University for Military Service and returned according to leave regulations.
5. Leave without pay to attend school is creditable if such service was recorded and certified by the supervisor.
6. Service on a wage basis is creditable if such service was appropriately recorded and was not Faculty or student service.
7. Salaried part-time employment is creditable service.
Service is computed as of July 1 of the award year.
Example: An employee who was hired June 29, 2002 (with no breaks in service) would be eligible for a ten year award in 2012.