Banking in the United States offers many options. There are large national banks, smaller local banks, credit unions, savings and loan institutions, and more. It can be confusing deciding which one is right for you and your needs.
When you don’t have a credit history, it can be difficult to obtain a credit card or other type of loan. To learn more about building credit, visit the following websites:
In the United States, a foreign national will encounter personal taxation via tax withholding and annual tax filing.
Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR)
As a foreign national you may have reporting responsibilities for bank accounts outside of the United States. While the University has no role in the FBAR process, it does encourage its employees to determine whether FBAR applies to them, and take the appropriate steps to ensure compliance.
Compliance and Immigration Services
- HR Compliance
- Immigration Services
- Employment Immigration Updates
- Compliance and Immigration Policies and Procedures
- Employment and Salary Verification
- Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR)
- Foreign National Taxation Services
- I-9 Online
- H-1B Visas
- Permanent Residence
- Labor Condition (ETA 9035) and Labor Certification (ETA 9089) Application Postings
- Payments to Foreign Nationals
- Welcome UVA Internationals