Travel Reminders

Travel abroad, while permitted and generally successful with H-1B status, does include a risk of denial or delay of re-entry to the U.S. Please coordinate travel plans with your department and ensure that the need for travel abroad is balanced with employment obligations that may be impacted by a denial or delay. The following documents are required for re-admittance to the U.S.:

H-1B Visa Holders

  • Original Form I-797, H-1B Approval Notice from USCIS
  • Copy of Form I-129, the H-1B visa petition provided by HRCIS accompanying the approval notice
  • Valid H-1B visa stamp in the passport
  • Valid passport
  • Supporting documentation accompanying your I-129 form, including H-1B Letter of Support, Academic Credentials, Curriculum Vitae, and other materials included in your H-1B filing

H-4 Dependent Visa Holders

  • Original I-797, H-4 Approval Notice from USCIS
  • Valid H-4 visa stamp in the passport
  • Valid passport


You must always have a valid visa to enter the U.S.

  • Visa processing is only available through U.S. consulates abroad (you cannot get them while you are in the U.S.)
  • You may get a visa in a another country, but we recommend that you get a new visa at a U.S. consulate in your home country
  • Requirements for visa processing vary by consulate