Processing and Fees
UVA departments should start H-1B processing early to avoid delays and premium processing fees. You can begin six months before the start date of H-1B employment.
The petition is prepared for filing once all filing and supporting materials are submitted to Human Resources Compliance and Immigration Services (HRCIS).
Please contact HRCIS for our best estimate of current processing times.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Premium Processing Option
USCIS offers an expedited processing option for H-1B petitions for an additional fee of $1,225.
- Expedited processing guarantees a decision within 15 calendar days (instead of a month).
- It will maximize the time available to the foreign national employee to navigate the requirements for entry to the U.S.
- Otherwise, application times at U.S. consulates for visa issuance abroad, along with necessary travel to the U.S., can be unpredictable and may cause delays.
When considering premium processing through USCIS, please be aware of the following:
The expedited processing service is available only for the USCIS portion of the petition process. The U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL) processing of the required Labor Condition Application (LCA) requires seven days. The LCA must be obtained prior to filing with USCIS.
If USCIS issues a Request for Further Evidence (RFE) in regard to an H-1B premium processed petition, the 15-day guarantee is no longer valid.
- Departments must pay USCIS filing fees and HRCIS processing fees for H-1B petition filings.
- The foreign national is typically responsible for filing fees associated with dependent H-4 visas.
- The USCIS premium processing fee of $1,225 can be paid by either the department or the foreign national, depending on the reason for expediting the petition.
- Fees paid by departments are billed to a department-provided PTAEO.
- If foreign nationals pay fees with a personal check, they should make it out to the Department of Homeland Security and include it with the materials they submit to HRCIS for processing.
Compliance and Immigration Services
- HR Compliance
- Immigration Services
- Employment Immigration Updates
- Compliance and Immigration Policies and Procedures
- Employment and Salary Verification
- Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR)
- Foreign National Taxation Services
- I-9 Online
- H-1B Visas
- Permanent Residence
- Labor Condition (ETA 9035) and Labor Certification (ETA 9089) Application Postings
- Payments to Foreign Nationals
- Welcome UVA Internationals
- Compliance & Immigration Services