Foreign National Taxation Services

What We Do

  • Provide guidance concerning federal and state tax withholding and reporting of payments made to individuals who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents
  • Work with international students, scholars, and visitors to determine their residency statuses for tax purposes and the proper federal income taxes and FICA withholdings
  • The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires UVA to apply specific federal tax withholding and to report payments made to international students and scholars

Use the left menu to find specific information about taxes.


For U.S. tax purposes, individuals are classified in one of the following categories:

  • U.S. citizens
  • Permanent resident aliens (i.e. green card holders)
  • Resident aliens (for tax purposes)
  • Nonresident aliens (for tax purposes)

Questions? Contact

HRCIS cannot advise individuals with regard to their personal tax situation. Please contact your tax accountant for personal tax advice.