Compliance and Immigration Services
The office of Human Resources Compliance and Immigration Services (HRCIS) ensures that the University complies with all applicable federal and state laws and University policies and procedures as they relate to immigration.
- Promote an effective, informed, low-risk workplace
- Facilitate an understanding within University Human Resources (UHR) and the larger UVA community of the dynamic regulatory environment within the immigration field
Examples of What We Do
- Offer immigration-related assistance and resources
- Oversee, facilitate, and monitor foreign national immigration petition filing to ensure that nonimmigrant visa and permanent residency (green card) processing is completed in accordance with relevant regulations
- Monitor University payments made to foreign nationals (scholarships, fellowships, wages, honoraria) for appropriate tax treatment
- Oversee the employment authorization (I-9) process and provide training to departments
- Provide legislative analysis of bills potentially affecting UHR or the UVA community during annual sessions of the Virginia legislature
We do not provide legal advice, but can help refer questions requiring legal counsel to Immigration counsel specially appointed by the Virginia Attorney General to advise the University. Individuals seeking or needing personal legal advice should consult their own attorney.