Leave to Donate Bone Marrow or Organs
Procedure: Leave to Donate Bone Marrow or Organs (BMOD Leave)
Purpose: Provides paid leave that is medically necessary for the donation of bone marrow or an organ and recuperation for up to 30 days in any leave year.
Eligibility: Non-probationary full-time (32 – 40 hours per week) salaried Classified, University Staff, and Research Assistants.
- Employees on disciplinary suspension are not eligible to participate in this program.
- Employees funded by sponsored program grants and contracts as defined in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance are not eligible as written contracts with the University do not provide financial responsibility for this benefit.
Important: Employees wishing to use Leave to Donate Bone Barrow or Organs (BMOD Leave) are strongly encouraged to make contact with the UHR Leave Center to discuss the use of this leave and its impact on other leaves (Family and Medical Leave, Virginia Sickness and Disability Program, and Worker’s Compensation).
- Inform supervisor according to department procedure of request for BMOD Leave (as far in advance as possible)
- Provide medical certification to support the use and expected duration of the leave
- Notify supervisor/department of any changes in the duration of the leave
- Request extension of leave if medically determined and contact UHR Leave Center to discuss appropriate leave(s) to cover the extension
- Approve the use of BMOD Leave
- Provide copies of the medical certification to the department timekeeper for department’s record and to UHR Leave Center
- Have employee, timekeeper, supervisor, or designated representative enter leave on on-line timecard by selecting leave type - BMOD Leave
- Make corrections by submitting a paper timesheet to the UHR Leaver Center
- Provide information and counseling regarding BMOD Leave to employee and department
- Verify and ensure the appropriateness of medical documentation
- Ensure that time and leave are entered appropriately
- Policies & Procedures
- Compensation Policies and Procedures
- Compliance and Immigration Policies and Procedures
- Education Benefits Policies and Procedures
- Employment and Staffing Policies and Procedures
- Employee Relations Policies and Procedures
- Executive Orders
- Leave Policies and Procedures
- Payroll Policies and Procedures
- Employee Self Service
- Systems & Technical Training and Access