Employee: Must be an Academic or Medical Center salaried employee of UVA, full- or part-time, and regularly scheduled to work at least 20 hours/week (50% effort).
- J-1 visa holders are only eligible for the Choice Health option starting in 2018. Federal government regulations prohibit J-1 visa holders from enrolling in the Basic or Value Health options.
- For the UVA Health Plan: Must be legally recognized as spouses in the Commonwealth of Virginia and have no access to Affordable Healthcare Coverage of minimum value (as defined by the Affordable Care Act) through their non-UVA employers.
- For UVA Dental and Davis Vision: Must be legally recognized as spouses in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Children: Must be your biological, step, adopted, or foster child, or any child declared a dependent on your federal tax return for whom you are the legal guardian with permanent custody. Children are eligible through December 31 of the year they turn age 26. Starting January 1, 2019, children are eligible to the end of the birth month in which they turn 26 rather than the birth year.
Children With Disabilities: Must be incapable of self-support due to a mental or physical disability. May continue beyond age 26 as long as
- required documentation is approved in advance by the Aetna Claims Administrator prior to the dependent’s 26th birthday
- they are unmarried
- they live with you 100% of the time
they are declared a dependent on your federal tax return
Contact Aetna Member Services at 1.800.987.9072 and the UVA Health Plan Ombudsman for assistance.
Qualifying Mid-Year Life Events: You can make changes to benefit elections during the plan year if you have a mid-year life event. Starting January 1, 2019, mid-year life qualifying events and new hire enrollments will need to be completed within 30 days of the event or hire date.
Required Documentation for Eligible Dependents
|DEPENDENT’S RELATIONSHIP TO YOU||ELIGIBILITY DEFINITION||REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION|
|Spouse||Marriage must be legally recognized in Commonwealth of Virginia
Ex-spouses are not eligible, even with court order
|Biological Child||May be covered to the end of the year in which they turn 26|
|Adopted Child||May be covered to the end of the year in which they turn 26|
|Stepchild (spouse’s biological child)||May be covered to the end of the year in which they turn 26|
|Foster Child||May be covered to end of the year in which they turn 26|
|Child under your permanent legal guardianship or custody||Children for whom a court has ordered the employee (and/or the employee’s legal spouse) to assume permanent custody may be covered to the end of the year in which they turn 26 if
|Child under your permanent legal guardianship or custody – exception||If employees (or their spouses) share permanent custody of a child with their minor child (who is the parent), the child may be covered if he/she, the minor child (parent), and the employee’s spouse (if applicable)
Postdoctoral Research Associates
- Annual Leave
- Back-up Care
- Dental Plan
- UVA Education Benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- UVA Health Plan
- UVA Health Plan Ombudsman
- Basic Health HDHP Option
- Prescription Program
- Health Savings Account
- Optional Retirement Plan (ORP)
- Vision Plan
- Life Insurance
- Virginia Retirement System (VRS)
- Long-Term Care
- 403(b) and 457 Savings Programs
- Workers’ Compensation
- Investment Lineup
- Policies & Procedures