The Medical Center provides a combined short- and long-term disability benefit for protection of income when an employee can’t work—or can work only part-time—because of illness or injury.
The UNUM insurance company manages all short- and long-term disability claims. Contact UNUM at 800.858.6843 with questions, claims, or submissions.
- UVA pays the entire base plan amount
- Short-term coverage provides a weekly benefit of 60% of salary, up to a weekly maximum of $1,100, beginning on the 15th day of continuous disability
- Long-term coverage provides 60% income replacement up to a maximum of $10,000 per month after the six months of short-term disability benefits have expired
- Optional contributory plan provides a monthly benefit of 66⅔% of salary, up to a monthly maximum of $10,000
Benefits continue for the duration of the disability up to normal retirement age as defined by U.S Social Security, or to age 65 (whichever is greater).
- Backup Care
- Dental Plan
- Education Benefits
- Flexible Credits
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- UVA Health Plan
- UVA Health Plan Ombudsman
- Health Savings Account
- Life Events
- Paid Time Off
- Medical Center Retirement Program (MCRP)
- Investment Lineup
- 403(b) and 457 Savings Programs
- Vision Plan
- Workers Compensation
- Policies & Procedures
- Employee Self-Service